The Transitions Hub is the science-policy lab of EIT Climate KIC.
Located in Brussels, it enables interactions with key EU organisations and external experts in key climate innovation policy areas. It has a focus on applied policy research and capacity building around sustainability transitions & system innovation, EU/regional policy, eco-innovation and circular economy.
What is the Problem?
Climate change is a complex issue because of the systemic implications for solving it. Decision-making processes in climate innovation and governance are often ineffective and leave key stakeholders out of relevant conversations. In order to succeed in a climate transition, we need to explore the best ways of “doing” while capturing as much knowledge as possible to support the design of operational programs and action plans. We embrace the complexity of applying system innovation to climate change and make it accessible and useful for practitioners and policy-making processes.
What We Do
- Evidence-based research, i.e. Climate-KIC activities, regional development and EU policy
- A knowledge service approach to foster good practices for the capitalisation of projects and develop actions based on a science-policy-practice interface
- Consolidate practice-based knowledge in the form of handbooks, i.e. participatory methods & technical assistance, as part of the process of adapting technical and scientific knowledge for practitioners
- Policy-driven pilots and experiments related to local participatory processes and technical assistance with the final purpose of revealing/highlighting new opportunities for Climate-KIC. Results gathered from these pilots are codified and analysed through dashboards of collectively created bottom-up indicators.
Who We Are
We work as a dynamic cross-functional team integrating colleagues from different areas and units
- Dr. Fernando J. Diaz Lopez, EIT Climate-KIC Transitions Hub Lead and Co-Lead Cluster Resilient and Climate Neutral Regions
- Dr Thomas Koetz, Senior Advisor for Climate Neutral and Resilient Regions
- Dr. Carolina Giraldo,
- Dr. Saskia Keesstra, Senior Designer Producer Land Use Transformation
- Dr. Saskia Visser, Co-Lead Cluster Resilient and Climate Neutral Regions & Land use, agri-food and sustainable bio-economy orchestrator
- Dr. Daniel Zimmer, Director Sustainable Land Use
- Ms. Doan Ho, Junior Researcher Sustainability Transitions and Regional Transformations
Transitions Hub Alumni
We have reached here because of the effort and creativity of amazing people such as José Manuel Martín Corvillo, Beatriz Camacho, Ignacio Chanza, Irene Vivas Lalinde, Annalisa Spalazzi, Valerie Fowles, Cliona Howie, Julia Panny, Blanca Juan Agullo, Eusebiu Stamate and Alice Bauer among other colleagues from EIT Climate-KIC and our partner community.
The Transitions Hub would not have been possible without the leadership of its founder and first co-ordinator (from its inception right until February 2022). Our team is grateful to Cristian Matti, former Head of Strategic Research and first Transitions Hub Lead of EIT Climate KIC, now policy officer at the JRC of the European Commission.